The first project that I got started on developing is an interesting little game called Darkshark. The character was created by my son, and I ended up writing down every little thing he’s told me about Darkshark and his world to use as the basis of the game.
This isn’t the first time I’ve done something like this with my kiddo, as we previously put together a book full of bedtime stories about the adventures of our dogs in a Hundred Acre Wood type of world and had it printed with illustrations via Amazon CreateSpace. But, this project is markedly more complex by a wide margin.
When I first got started, I was biased towards software that was a bit easier to develop with, like GameMaker Studio. I’d done some work on Unity and with the Unreal Engine doing 3d asset creation, but I found that the whole process was tedious. I’m used to old school level development in the Hammer editor from Valve, and so when I couldn’t design levels using a CAD style interface and realized that things had to be created in Blender, it was a grim moment.
I’d originally wanted to make a game based on the stories my son and I had created, but the 3d workflow was a bit much for me as a hobby. I’ll include a few pictures here just to give you an idea of my progress.
But, as I mentioned, the workflow was just a bit much for me, so I decided to go with 2d development. As my son had come up with Darkshark around this time, it became the focus of my newest project (though I plan to come back to the bedtime-themed game in the future).
I originally started with GameMaker, but decided that Unity was a bit closer to my goals as I started writing code for movement, enemy movement, and attacks/knockback and things like that. It turns out that C# grows on you.